Don't you just hate it when you forget about produce hiding under other food in the refidgerator! I noticed I still had a couple of sweet potatoes that needed to be used fast. Then I remembered a recipe that looked good in a cook book that I was using during a 10 day program I was on to shred some bad habits. Let me tell you, this is going to be one of my new staples. Now the recipe directions calls for using a cast iron pan and the one I have would have been to small so I used my electric wok and it worked great. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did.
Caramelized Sweet Potato and Apple Hash Browns
2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
1 large Pink Lady or Granny Smith apple, diced (peeling optional)
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp coconut oil (separated)
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1) Heat a large, seasoned cast iron pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp of the coconut oil.
2) Once the pan is heated, add the diced sweet potatoes and sprinkle evenly with the sea salt and stir/toss to coat the potatoes
3) Cover the pan for about 2 minutes, Uncover and stir. Lower the heat a bit if the potatoes are starting to brown too much.
Cover and cook for another 2-4 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
4) Uncover the pan and continue to cook, stirring, until the potatoes are light brown all over.
5) Add the diced apples plus the 2 tsp coconut oil and stir to combine.
6) Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until the apples and potatoes are brown.
Adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning.
7) Once apples and potatoes are toasty, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon
Let cool a bit and then serve warm